Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Living Life on Purpose

Many of us live our lives in a perpetual state of unconsciousness. There, I said it. I know it is harsh, and I won’t be surprised if you are scoffing at the mere thought of a comment so audacious. It is indeed a harsh comment to make. I pose the question to you though; how purpose-filled is your life? It may not be easy, but being brutally honest with yourself in this case is a wise move. Us humans don’t seem to grow so well when we remain in our comfort zone. When you take a realistic audit of your life, and your daily doings, how conscious are you of your decisions and movements?

Do you set goals? Do you work towards those goals, and keep them in the forefront of your mind every day? If you don’t, then is it possible that you are merely drifting through life? Do you think if you say to yourself “Gosh darn it, I really need to lose weight” it is magically going to happen? Or, maybe, just maybe if you set a goal and write it down then it may be more likely that you will lose weight?

If you answered ‘yes’ to the latter then you are on the right track. Living life on purpose begins being conscious of your decisions (even your lack thereof), and how they affect where your life goes. By setting a goal to lose ten kilograms by xxx date, you are making a decision to change your behaviour, and as a result, the shape of your body. By further breaking up the goal into smaller pieces, you will be able to start living on purpose. As an example your goal may look like this:

By (date) I will have lost ten kilograms, look, feel and be healthier.

By (date) I will have lost five kilograms towards my goal of losing ten kilograms by (date).

In order to achieve this goal, I will go to the gym for one hour, three times per week. I will reduce my meal portion sizes, and reduce my sugar intake.

I will also stop eating chocolate every day.

Obviously this is just a guideline to go off. The moral of the story is that if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. This is the same theme that runs through any endeavour you undertake. Whether that is sports, education, or life in general.


Make a decision to be decisive. Consciously choose to make choices. Purposely live your life on purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment