Monday, March 23, 2015

Poached Salmony goodness

Poached Salmon on Rice

If you’re anything like me, then you will be able to relate to not having an abundance of time to cook in the evenings. I for one find less and less time the older I get. Funny thing with time is, they’re not making any more of it. You only get a certain amount of it in your life. A while ago I brought one of Jamie Oliver’s books Jamie’s 15 minute meals. Which I dare say changed my cooking life for the better. Whilst this recipe isn’t in his book, I managed to cook it recently in about twenty minutes, and is not only healthy, but delicious too. I figured instead of plagiarising poor old Jamie, I would put in my own recipe instead. Actually, this isn’t even my recipe, I just love it, and have cooked it often.
Ok, so I was about to write out a mammoth recipe for you to review and look over, but instead I noted that it is already available online. I got the below from an awesome site called: http://www.nutritionistinthekitch.com/


SIMPLE GINGER SOY POACHED SALMON
PREP TIME
5 mins
COOK TIME
15 mins
TOTAL TIME
20 mins
Slightly adapted.
Author: Chef Michael Smith - Fast Flavors
Serves: 4
INGREDIENTS
1 cup water
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
2 tablespoons grated ginger
½ teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce or chili pepper flakes
4 4oz fresh salmon fillets
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1½ cups brown basmati rice
3 cups water (for rice)
20 spears of asparagus

INSTRUCTIONS
1.Get the rice started in a rice cooker or on the stove. Follow directions on package for rice.
2.Meanwhile poach the salmon. Match your favorite heavy skillet with a tight fitting lid.
3.Pour the water, soy sauce, sugar, hot sauce, and ginger together in the skillet.
4.Bring to a vigorous simmer over high heat, then lower to a slow, steady simmer. Nestle the salmon fillets in the mixture and cover the pan. Let simmer for 5 minutes then gently flip the salmon fillets.
5.Cover and simmer until cooked through, about 4-5 more minutes.
6.Steam the asparagus for 4-5 minutes.
7.Divide the rice and asparagus among 4 bowls. Position the salmon on each pile of rice and spoon the sauce over evenly. Sprinkle with green onion to garnish.
8.Enjoy!

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Serving size: 1 salmon fillet, with ¾ cup brown rice, 5 spears asparagus & sauce Calories: 405 kcal Fat: 10.9g Saturated fat: 1.8g Unsaturated fat: 6.9g Carbohydrates: 41.8gSugar: 3.4g Fiber: 4.2g Protein: 34.7g

Go forth and try this awesome meal. It’s quick, tasty and is really good for you too. For full details on the recipe, you can check it out here: http://www.nutritionistinthekitch.com/2012/12/27/simple-ginger-soy-poached-salmon/

Big thank you to Nutritionist in the Kitch too. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment